Sep 7, 2008

"Auntie Robyn"

I couldn't help but get my hackles up by a comment on my previous post "Hedgewitch FAQs". If you didn't see it, here it is:

What can you tell me about Cornish witchcraft? As all the Cornish I talk to say that it's Wiccan Bollocks?
This site and Junipers site are disturbing as they are wiccan passing itself off as not wiccan. Traditional witches would not give this site any credence and is the reason that Hedgewitches have such a hard time getting recognition. I understand that you are new, but you and Juniper are giving Hedgewitches a bad name and it's very frustrating... newbies teaching.. when it was just silly wiccans teaching beginners it wasn't so bad, but now you've invaded my territory, and you are not a hedgewitch. Hedgewitches don't give a rat's ass about ethics, that's a neo-wiccan/Christian problem, they don't use pentacles, that's wiccan and only wiccan, pentacles are maybe a sigil and that's it, they have no meaning in traditional hedgewitch craft.
I can go on, but as I am teaching a person with closed ears it's a waste... newbies always know better. And they ruin it for us oldsters. IF you ever wonder why there are no teachers for you, I just let you know.


I'm curious if "Auntie Robyn" even read my post, as she seems to be ranting at me about things I didn't say. So I'm going to reply to her here, and hope she reads this, as she does not have her own blog, and didn't leave any way for me to contact her.

What can you tell me about Cornish witchcraft? As all the Cornish I talk to say that it's Wiccan Bollocks?

If you look to the right, there is a section called "Cornish Witchcraft" with a bunch of links. I would suggest you contact Jack Daw at his covenspace.com site and tell him his historical research is bollocks, because you say so: http://jackdaw.covenspace.com/ . I also suggest you check The Pickingill Papers by George Pickingill, as well as Call of the Horned Piper by Nigel Jackson. As a former Wiccan, I can tell you these paths are nothing alike. There are absolutely no similarities whatsoever. But if you've never been in a lineaged coven, you would not know that. I would also be interested in who in Cornwall you've spoken to?

This site and Junipers site are disturbing as they are wiccan passing itself off as not wiccan. Traditional witches would not give this site any credence and is the reason that Hedgewitches have such a hard time getting recognition. I understand that you are new, but you and Juniper are giving Hedgewitches a bad name and it's very frustrating... newbies teaching.. when it was just silly wiccans teaching beginners it wasn't so bad, but now you've invaded my territory, and you are not a hedgewitch.

Um, wow. Okay, first off, my path is not similar to Juniper's. While we both utilize the title Hedgewitch, I think we both follow different paths. Secondly, who are you to decide who is a "real" Traditional Witch? I am not Wiccan, what I post here is NOT Wiccan (as I have been in a coven, and Wiccan teachings are oath-bound). I have not invaded "your" territory, as I do not know who you are. I am also not "new". I've been walking this path for two decades. If that is "new", well, gee....I'm shocked!

Hedgewitches don't give a rat's ass about ethics, that's a neo-wiccan/Christian problem,

Um, did you read my post? I said "Generally Hedgewitches are not Wiccan, as Hedgewitchery has no credo as "An' ye harm none do as ye will." Creeds often come from various folk magic traditions, and many Hedgewitches believe in the phrase "A witch who cannot curse cannot cure."

See that? NO CREDO AS "An' ye harm none do as ye will". I did not mention ethics, except that Hedgewitches learn cursing as well as healing. As a Hedgewitch (or Haegtessa) I have cursed people, and used magic that was NOT "Wiccan" (which you seem to think is beneath you for some reason). I don't know where you get the idea that I abide by the Wiccan Rede, as I don't, and have said that many times.

they don't use pentacles, that's wiccan and only wiccan, pentacles are maybe a sigil and that's it, they have no meaning in traditional hedgewitch craft.

Where did I say anything about pentacles? I do sigil work on a regular basis, and do know the various sigils pentacles are used for. I actually don't even wear any pentacle jewelry....I usually wear amber, or my Hekate pendant. If I wear a pentacle, it is as a protection symbol and has been made and charged as such.

I can go on, but as I am teaching a person with closed ears it's a waste... newbies always know better. And they ruin it for us oldsters. IF you ever wonder why there are no teachers for you, I just let you know.

You can go on, but I'm not really sure WHAT you are replying to. Seriously, did you READ my FAQ, or did you just go off half-cocked on assumptions? You feel I'm a newbie, that's fine and dandy. You feel I'm "ruining it" for you "oldsters" (I've never heard of you before, so I don't know anything about your path to "ruin it"). Why there are "no teachers" for me? I'd be worried if you were teaching anyone, since you obviously can't read a simple FAQ without truly comprehending ANYTHING in it. I honestly thought it was quite clear about how Hedgewitchery is NOT Wiccan.......and there was no mention of pentacles or ethics. So I'm not sure what you're on about.

Feel free to comment on this, but I would love some points of reference from you, as well as your own resume of experience to back up your "oldster" status in the community.










7 comments:

hedgelurker said...

Yes, sorry, I was half cocked on some things, I didnt' even know the part about cornishwitchcraft had gone through as every time I tried to read or write on your page, it crashed my computer, so I was a wee bit irritated and when I started to read the Ethics section and just got steamed from there.I wasn't even aware the post had actually gone through, the last time my computer crashed I just turned it off I think it crashed my computer more than 4 times. I don't think I could have gotten a chance to read any more of your blog but..... still..... what's with the WICCAN ethics? Since when do hedgewitches use WICCAN ethics, see your own ethics section... Cunningham and Ed Fitch?
As I have had many people throw Wiccan rede in my face, it's irritating to see it on a so called Hedgewitch site. I see rituals, that I wouldn't consider very hedgewitch as far as I know hedgewitches aren't big on rituals..especially "With The Goddess And The God" Is this the Wiccan "Goddess And God?
So, I see this all, meanwhile everytime I try to change a page or write a comment I crash...
Then to top it off, I have seen your videos... and I admit, any time I see a person with all that nice 'pagan' jewelry, with all those pretty pentacles, that don't have any meaning in MY hedgewitch path as I view them as straight from Aleister Crowley via Gardner, I don't get a really great idea of anything but a Wiccan once again, calling themself a hedgewitch. Now, I am now that I am not crashing like crazy just to write this, a bit more calmed down, but I still don't see where except for your link section, you have anything that I would not have taken from a Rae Beth type hedgewitch. But I would be open for discussion as I am always ready to meet with straight up people, but I really really, have a hang up with people who claim to be something their not. Nothing against you, it's the American Way, but when I see a bunch of BS, I generally calls it as I sees it, losing friends all over the place.

Aelwyn said...

Okay:

1) You commented on a specific blog, when in fact you were commenting on other older blog posts altogether.

2) That ethics "lesson" was a Paganism 101, which is basically an assortment of ethics. If you noticed, there were Wiccan, Asatru, Kemetic, etc. ethics included as well. It is a WELL ROUNDED view of Pagan (modern and ancient) views of ethics, morals, etc. I believe those interested in Paganism need a well rounded view, and that was why I added such an extensive list of various ethical writings.

3) I perform generalized Pagan rituals with others. I host these at my home as a way for people to celebrate the Sabbats. I have been doing so since I was Wiccan, and have continued to do so out of popular demand. If you notice, the rituals have a very strong Druidic bend to it, as that was the path the people attending were interested in. My personal rituals are nothing like the large, involved rituals I hold for other Pagans (which I make as generally Pagan as possible to include as many people as possible). I recently held a ritual for Nemoralia, and also hold rituals for the Feast Days of the Deities that I honour (Hedgewitches have varied religious views, and I am a hard polytheist and honour the Greek Pantheon....so you will also see Hellenic inspired rituals on this blog in the future).

4) I have not written extensively on this site about my personal Hedgewitch practices as they are difficult to put into words---I work with Otherkin, I do a LOT of trancework, wortcunning, divination, etc. These are things I have yet to have written up and added to this site.

5) You know what ASSUMING does, don't you? Just because you have yet to read about my personal beliefs and my practices as a Hedgewitch, you have no right to run about bashing me.

I use the term "Hedgewitch", but it is a new word, recently introduced in Britain only 50 years ago. A more accurate word for me would be "Haegtessa", but the closest English equivalent is "Hedgewitch".

6) I'm not American, I am Canadian. Perhaps we are more polite and succinct than you Americans, but you really come off as an arrogant so-and-so.

7) I asked about your own experience to back up your reasoning for bashing me, but you didn't. How long have you been a Hedgewitch? How did you learn Hedgewitchery? Do you have a blog? What writings on the subject have you written? How old are you? Have you any History education to back up your claims that Cornish Witchcraft does not exist?

shannon said...

On behalf of this American I just want to say we are not all as impolite as some people. This blog and the videos I've seen from Aelwyn have greatly helped me in learning more about hedgwitchery and paganism. She is an experienced person in both fields and I thank her for posting all the information she does. :)

Belladonna said...

As a close & personal friend of Aelwyn as well as being a bloodline tradition witch, there is no real DEFINITIVE path to go on.. That is why some people blend pantheons in their traditions.. My bloodline blends the Celtic & Greek pantheons while the Sacred Mists tradition is Celtic, Greek, Alexandrian and Faery.. From what I have been taught, you take what you want and go with it, there is no 'You must do this' or 'You must not do that'.. I know Wiccans who do not follow the Rede.. (My cousin being one but that's a different story.. )

My point is even though Aelwyn is no longer Wiccan, she has developed her Hedgewitch path the way SHE wants it and no one has a voice to say if it is right or wrong.

Belladonna Whisperwind
Priestess of the Arching Willow Tradition

Jeni said...

First off, I adore Aelwyn's work. Especially her videos, kudos!
And despite some things in common, we are both canucks and about the same age, we do walk a different path.
I've never met two hedgwitches who walk the exact same path, practice exactly the same way ... have you?
And please don’t pick on my site, it’s not even up anymore *pouts*. I’m setting up a homestead and am a little overwhelmed for time and energy at the moment. (I was considering encouraging people from my forum head over the Hedgewitches Cottage Forum)
Its true, it is difficult to write specifically about your own personal path. Its personal after all, can be difficult to articulate, etc … it can be easier to put things in a more general tone.
If you don’t like any possibly Wiccan undertones to hedgewitchery, well sorry about that. I started out with Wicca, as many of us do … and change is often something organic and best done in it’s own time eh?
I’m a young woman who is growing and sharing what I know as I go. I make no bones about that, I make no claims to be an Elder or any such thing. I make perfectly clear I started in Wicca and that my practice, ethics and rituals have, and still are, gradually moving away from that. Come back and bitch at me when I’m in my 40s or 60s or 80s.
If you want to criticise me, please feel free to do so, but not on someone else’s blog. Here’s my most often checked email: juniper138@gmail.com
Cheers!

PS Aelwyn, we should collaborate and write a book! *evil grin*

~~~ Juniper
(damn when did I get notorious?)

Aelwyn said...

Thanks for your kind words, Juniper.

Each person uses the term "Hedgewitch" differently. And as it is not a religion with prescribed dogma, I don't have a problem with that. One cannot put restrictions on something that has no rules.

And I agree with you--criticizing someone on another's blog is just plain tacky. *sigh*

We'll be notorious together. And darn straight, we should write a book! ;)

Aelwyn said...

I just want to add something:

I "had it out" with Robyn (aka Rowan) on the Hedgewitch group on Yahoo that she "runs". Two of her cronies took her side, and obviously couldn't understand simple English.

When Robyn questioned me about having been a Dedicant in two Wiccan covens, and I offered up a reference (who, btw, is a well known woman in the Wiccan community), she deleted me from the group. Then she claimed I left the group.

No---I was deleted.

Reading this woman's posts, I find she is not a very experienced Witch. She has never crossed the hedge, nor has she ever practiced what she talks about. Her posts are full of contradictions, and all she has to offer is other peoples' words (from websites or books), and no personal experience.

I'm saddened she has taken it upon herself to declare who is a Hedgewitch and who is not, especially since she does not truly practice the path herself.

I hope one day she learns the errors of her newbie ways.

All content © to Hedgewitch Hollow unless otherwise noted. All rights are reserved. If you wish to use my writing in any form, please contact me first, and wait for written consent.

Contact Aelwyn at aelwyndaeira@yahoo.ca