Oct 21, 2010

Thrifty Pagan Thursday!






This is the first edition of THRIFTY PAGAN THURSDAY.  What shall we talk about?  How about saving money in various ways for tools and supplies.

1)  Go to thrift stores.  Especially check out Christian thrift stores.  Around here we have THE SALVATION ARMY THRIFT STORE (you can even shop their store on Ebay...how cool is that?), BIBLES FOR MISSIONS, and ST. VINCENT DE PAUL.  I've found amazing tables to use as altars, cauldrons, chalices, offering dishes and much more at these stores for next to nothing!  Their prices are often lower than VALUE VILLAGE, TALIZE, or other big name/department thrift stores (though you can still sometimes find good deals there).  At the department thrift stores, I often find occult and mythology books for less than half price, too!

2) Join local FREECYCLE mailing lists!   These are through YAHOO, and you can choose to have them delivered to your inbox, or read them online.  And you get stuff for FREE!  I have gotten a lot of the wall shelves for my ritual room from here.  You never know what you'll find!  Fabric for altar cloths, candles, candle holders, seasonal decor....the list goes on!

3) Go to ANTIQUE MARKETS.  The ones around us have everything from swords and brooms, to daggers, beautiful bowls and wine glasses, to other items---scythes, taxidermied animal parts (tails, feet, heads, horns), iron nails and rail road spikes, vintage mason jars (for witchy brews or storing herbs), etc.  I've also found MANY books at these places, as there are often book sellers there.

4) Head out on weekend mornings and go YARD SALE-ING!  As they say, one man's junk is another witch's treasure!  I recently got four old mason jars (big ones) for holding some Hoodoo mixtures I'll be mixing up, for only twenty five cents each.  I also got a really cool kerosene lantern (which you can use lamp oil in) for $2, which one can use on their altar or to add ambience to ritual space (I'm using this for centerpieces for our wedding).

5) Grow your own herbs!  Why spend a bunch of money on buying herbs from large stores, not knowing how old they are?  Find out what will grow where you are, and do some planting.  If you live in an apartment with a balcony, do a container garden!  At the correct time for each herb, cut and dry them, then store them in airtight jars in a cool, dark place.

6) Dig your own rocks!  Nope, I'm NOT kidding.  Why are you spending an insane amount of money on crystals and gemstones, when you can join a ROCK HOUNDING club in your area, and get out into nature, and find your own gems, fossils and minerals!  Most rock hounders and their clubs hold swap meets and sales, selling many gemstones for much cheaper than you'll get online or at your local occult or new age shop.

7) Pick your own herbs!  Well, weeds and plants, really!  There are a lot of groups that do herb, plant and tree walks, teaching people about what the plants are.  Some let you pick items.  Or head out, with good knowledge and a good book, and pick the items yourself (make sure you're NOT in a conservation area!).  Oakmoss?  Scrape some moss off an oak tree.  Golden rod?  If you're in an area where it's in ABUNDANCE, grab some!  It's often considered a nuisance as it causes hayfever.

There you are--7 ideas to make your general practice a little more cost effective!  

3 comments:

Aine O'Brien said...

fantastic suggestions!! I love doing these things, sifting through stuff to find treasures!!!

My Grama's Soul said...

I Found you over at Petunias.....I must say....I am so loving these Halloween headers and blogs.....I have never been much of a Halloween lady....although hubby does call me a "witch" sometimes.....teeheeee.....
but I am thoroughly enjoying you adventures.

Xo

Jo

Svehex said...

Lovely idea to start Thrifty Thursday :) I make it a point not to buy the expensive stuff. I often go to Nature, second hand and thrift stores. Let me know if I can contribute in any way :)

All content © to Hedgewitch Hollow unless otherwise noted. All rights are reserved. If you wish to use my writing in any form, please contact me first, and wait for written consent.

Contact Aelwyn at aelwyndaeira@yahoo.ca